“ A long series of biochemical steps is required to produce all those other structures besides ovaries or testes. Each step involves the synthesis of one molecular ingredient, termed an enzyme, specified by one gene. Any enzyme can be defective or absent if its underlying gene is altered by mutation. [...] One type of pseudohermaphrodite looks like a normal woman [...] because 'her' breasts are well developed and 'her' legs are long and graceful. The problem isn't even likely to be recognized until the adolescent 'girl' consults a doctor over failure to begin menstruating. [...] The patient has no uterus, fallopian tubes, or upper vagina. Instead, the vagina ends blindly after two inches. Further examination reveals testes that secrete normal testosterone, are programmed by a normal Y chromosome, and are abnormal only for being buried in the groin or labia. In other words, the beautiful model is an otherwise normal male who happens to have a genetically determined biochemical block in his ability to respond to testosterone. ”
* The first thing that people need to do is recognize the uselessness of this type of thinking. They should view it as a danger to their sobriety and therefore something to be avoided as much as possible.
* In order to overcome adversity the individual needs to concentrate on what they can do and not what they can’t do. It is action that will help improve a person’s life and not feelings of self pity.
* Some people have the mistake idea that they should feel happy all the time. Nobody gets to enjoy a free ride in life and to expect this is completely unrealistic.
* Instead of feeling hard done by the individual needs to take responsibility for their own situation. This is the only way that they can escape the misfortunes in life.
* One of the goals of recovery is to increase self esteem. The individual can start off by achieving small goals but over time they will feel confident enough to tackle larger goals.
* Emotional sobriety is the ability to face life on life’s terms and it also means not being afraid to feel emotions. It is possible to become physically sober in a matter of hours, but it can take significantly longer in recovery to develop emotional sobriety .
* Activities such as mindfulness meditation can help people develop emotional sobriety.
* Journaling is a good way for people to unburden their disappointments in life. By adding to this on a daily basis the individual will notice when they are being taken over by self pity.
* The worst thing that people can do when they have these negative feelings is to isolate at home.
* Exercise can be a good way to increase inner strength. Just going for a long walk can be enough to allow people to see the bigger picture and get beyond feeling sorry for themselves.
* Rather than viewing the challenges in life negatively it is better to see them as a chance to grow. People reach their potential because of the difficult days they face and not the good days – these can be viewed as a reward for dealing with the bad days.